We are experts in employment law for Independent Schools, providing legal support to the senior management teams and governors of many leading schools. Our practice has advised independent schools for over 20 years, resulting in an in-depth knowledge of the sector.
Several of our lawyers have been or are governors of schools. We act for a range of clients including:
- Radley College
- King’s College School.
- A number of Oxford independent schools (names are confidential).
Our education sector clients consistently praise us for being cost-effective and pragmatic, proactive not reactive, and able to provide a high level of personal support.
We are ranked in the legal directories as a leading employment law practice and described as “very competent, capable and practical” and providing "good quality, pragmatic and sensible legal advice.”
We ensure that we get to know your individual school and the way that it works, so that we can provide tailored advice for you, whether that is drafting staff contracts or handbooks, or advising on a difficult situation with an employee.
A key strength is that we are very successful litigators, with a 90% plus win rate in Employment Tribunals, County and High Court litigation. This is extremely rare among employment law firms.
Other key education sector services include:
- experienced investigators of complex HR issues
- unfair dismissal and termination of employment
- Board and executive level appointments and terminations
- Restrictive covenants
- Drafting employment contracts and policy documents
- Discrimination and equal pay
- Managing sickness and disability
- Data protection issues relating to employment
- Handling grievances, disciplinaries and performance management processes
We provide regular specialist training sessions for HR professionals and bursars in the Independent Schools sector, so that we keep you up-to-date and provide an environment in which education specific employment law topics can be debated.
If you would like to find out more about how we can help, please call us on 01235 821115.